You taught our son how to drive (practicing with him, and modelling good driving, have made us better drivers as well). The following comes up for me when I am driving around Victoria, I wonder what your thoughts are?
How does another driver know what you are thinking?
- Another car racing up to a stop sign and then suddenly stopping at the last moment
- Another car stopping well past the stop line
- Another car slowly rolling into the lane or intersection without coming to a full stop (or slowly turning left as if to go in front of you)?
It makes me apprehensive that something bad is going to happen.
- By driving predictably, without sudden changes in speed or direction, or unconventional maneuvers
- By signalling all turns and lane changes in advance
- By slowing noticeably as you approach a stop or yield or crosswalk, and coming to a full stop at the stop line
- By not rolling forward into a lane
(if you need to move forward for visibility, move when it doesn’t threaten other drivers, and then come to a complete stop again)
- By making eye contact with other drivers in intersections
- By accelerating and slowing moderately, (no jackrabbit starts or nose-down stops).